New Age Slavery

With respect to the current state of economic inequality in the USA, if you can relate to any of these synonyms for the word OUTRAGE , either as a noun or as a verb, then you are in the correct forum:

Indignation, Fury, Anger, Rage, Disapproval, Wrath, Resentment, Scandal, Offense, Insult, Injustice, Disgrace, Atrocity, Crime, Wrong, Barbarism, Enrage, Infuriate, Incense, Anger, Scandalize, Offend, Affront, Shock, Horrify, Disgust, Appall, Evil, Violation, and the list goes on...

Before you begin, CLICK HERE to learn about the Counter-Intuitive Impact Of Economic Inequality upon the problems of health and society. This speaks to the very core of the matter; Economic Inequality Is Harmful.

Posted on: » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:28 pm #11

Sterling Volunteer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New Age Slavery

Post by Sterling Volunteer » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:28 pm

"Income Inequality Makes Rich People Stingier" in Bloomberg Business November 2015
A new study found wealthy people in states with skewed income scales were less generous.

What's behind the findings? The authors say concentrating wealth in the hands of a few may lead to "the belief that one is more important and deserving than others." That sense of entitlement may make the rich less altruistic and lead them to "believe that resources rightly belong to them."
Talk about STINGY. These people become tighter than a gnat's A$$. Most of them did not work for this money but inherited it. All of a sudden they get a chunk of change from mom and dad and voila, they are magically transformed into important people. This is the height of hypocrisy. None of their shortcomings are removed by this money but in their mind's eye they are now special. Deserving how? Because by chance the right sperm hit the egg? As if they had much to do with it.

The true elites are those who were generous to begin with and then, upon receiving wealth, become even more generous.

~SV~
Times Referenced: 1

Posted on: » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:31 pm #12

Jessica

Post by Jessica » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:31 pm

Anyone who doesn't believe we are on the verge of becoming slaves in the age of Artificial Intelligence should read this post by Sterling in the Singularity section. Even Elon Musk sees the control of AI by a small group of individuals as a major problem. It doesn't take a rocket scientist (although Elon Musk is one) to see how this could happen. After all, it is only a few short steps from monopoly to slavery for the rest of us.
Re: Pitchforks And Torches Will No Longer Be Able To Stop The 1%

I just read the following in KurzweilAI net news letter News saying, Elon Musk wants to enhance us as superhuman cyborgs to deal with superintelligent AI
April 21, 2017

It’s the year 2021. A quadriplegic patient has just had one million “neural lace” microparticles injected into her brain, the world’s first human with an internet communication system using a wireless implanted brain-mind interface — and empowering her as the first superhuman cyborg. …

No, this is not a science-fiction movie plot. It’s the actual first public step — just four years from now — in Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s business plan for his latest new venture, Neuralink. It’s now explained for the first time on Tim Urban’s WaitButWhy blog.

Dealing with the superintelligence existential risk

Such a system would allow for radically improved communication between people, Musk believes. But for Musk, the big concern is AI safety. “AI is obviously going to surpass human intelligence by a lot,” he says. “There’s some risk at that point that something bad happens, something that we can’t control, that humanity can’t control after that point — either a small group of people monopolize AI power, or the AI goes rogue, or something like that.”

The part that really struck me was when Elon Musk says, " either a small group of people monopolize AI power, or the AI goes rogue, or something like that.

This fits hand in glove with what Doctor A said in the first post above,

It is obvious only the very rich will be able to afford the Quantum Computers ushering in the Singularity.

I would bet my bottom dollar he is referring to the super rich controlling AI and the singularity. However, he is worth about $14 billion and I would also bet he wants to be one of the small group of people monopolizing AI power especially since his new venture is Neuralink. But of course he did not focus on this side of the issue, only the technological side. Here is a link if you are interested in the technological side of the article, http://www.kurzweilai.net/elon-musk-wan ... telligent-

Overall I believe a small group of people monopolizing AI is as much a risk as AI going rogue.

~SV~
Times Referenced: 0

Posted on: » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:50 am #13

Athena

Post by Athena » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:50 am

Can we relate to the "MAchine" or "Samaritan" In "Person of Interest". We see the consequences of Artificial Intelligence in action.
Myth or reality?

Posted on: » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:04 pm #14

Jessica

Post by Jessica » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:04 pm

I do not follow the series on TV but I know it is a science fiction drama. The writers for such series are well adept at creating tension and as in most science fiction they have the two sides used as foils, one against the other. Machine vs Samaritan I assume are these two sides fighting against each other for control of the world in some fashion, (or so I assume this is the story line)." More likely than not this is myth and not reality to answer your question. However, the writers get paid well to make it seem more like reality than myth.

Overall I like this type of science fiction because it creates other worlds that my mind did not usually consider to give me a new perspective. But it will not be long til the writers of these scripts are AI driven computers themselves without human interaction and depend upon a vast psychological database of our intellectual and emotional needs. They will know which story line to create to produce an optional emotional response, that is to say, to keep us addicted to the series. The different neurotransmitters in our brains can then be made to work together depending upon the stimulus, (timed and interactive segments of the story line presented to enhance the addiction). The more addicted we become, the more the company will make a profit off of our addiction. What a trip.

Posted on: » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:26 pm #15

Jessica

Post by Jessica » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:26 pm

If you think you can work your way out of this slavery, think again. Wealth inequality acts as razor wire around your world. It holds you back and cuts your opportunities.

In: The Week
"Wealth inequality is even worse than income inequality"
By Jeff Spross, August 10th, 2017 http://theweek.com/articles/717294/weal ... inequality
And if you think income inequality is bad, well, you ain't seen nothing yet.
So the best way to enrich yourself is to already be wealthy. Which is kind of perverse, since income from wealth is income you don't have to lift a finger to earn.
As a result of all this, wealth has a tendency to just transfer endlessly from one generation to the next in the same family. A big part is obviously outright inheritance.
So, not surprisingly, socioeconomic mobility in America is incredibly sclerotic. If you're born into the bottom fifth of the income ladder, the chances you'll stay there are 43 percent. Your chances of breaking into the top fifth are 4 percent.
Last edited by Jessica on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Times Referenced: 1

Posted on: » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:00 pm #16

Posted on: » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:00 pm #17

Posted on: » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:36 am #18

Sterling Volunteer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Sterling Volunteer » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:36 am

Starsun, would you be so kind as to clarify and elaborate on your post. I am not sure what aspect of new
age slavery you are talking about.

~SV~

Posted on: » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:20 pm #19

starsun
REFERENCING: Jessica, Post #5, Posted Apr 24, 2017
Yes, you and me agree! This has to stop.
These people put their pants on one leg at a time just like you and me.
There is no justification for the pay they are making other than outright greed....
none

Post by starsun » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:20 pm

Yes, I believe this is correct.

Posted on: » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:50 pm #20

Doctor A
Volunteer
Volunteer
REFERENCING: seanc, Post #6, Posted Dec 5, 2015
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... capitalism

Here is another take on inequality that focuses on the s...
none

Post by Doctor A » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:50 pm

Income And Economic Inequality Do Not Just Happen By Accident.

We are at war; it is a war between competing brain structures. What we are witnessing is the opening salvo of class warfare on a world wide scale. Few dare to call it what really is in an attempt to keep the cauldron from boiling over. Nevertheless, the carnage is just starting and will continue.

The Republican Tax Plan is now almost certain to become law. The overt and naked greed of the plan creates a line in the sand formed by a lily-livered and shameful move in the middle of the night. Truthfully, war has been declared. Although not expressed in these words, it is the de facto reality. The text of this Tax Plan might as well be inked in blood.

Here are two newspaper headlines heralding the tax plan bill that will eventually become law:

The New York Times
Vast Tax Overhaul Clears the Senate, 51-49
By JIM TANKERSLEY, THOMAS KAPLAN and ALAN RAPPEPORT December 2, 2017
The new Republican tax plan affects families, small business owners and multinational corporations, with the biggest benefits flowing to the highest-earning Americans.

The Huffington Post
Senate Passes Massive Tax Cuts For The Rich In Middle Of The Night
Wasn’t this supposed to be for the middle class?
By Matt Fuller and Arthur Delaney 12/02/2017

Someone from the conservative Wall Street Journal put this bill into perspective by saying, "Think of tax reform as the Trump Family's Christmas list. Billionaires will find extravagant goodies in their stockings. Everyone else gets lumps of coal." This sugar coated version of what just occurred is efficient at explaining the essence of the concept but it in no way tackles the underlying seriousness of the matter.

The news media and politicians are reticent to using the terminology, class warfare. They shy away from the terminology while sacrificing reality at the altar of political correctness. But now, after this despicable Republican Bill was crammed down the throats of the American public, political correctness is beginning to evaporate. Here is a link to an article connecting the inevitable tax bill and class war from the Huffington Post. More and more we will begin to see headline terminology like this, "Welcome To The Class War." https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/re ... a88c1cfafa In the near future, breaching the walls of political correctness will take a new and more direct wording revealing a story line closer to the truth that we are actually at war.

Here is my apocalyptic view regarding the gathering storm of the new class warfare. It is embedded in a snappy little tune with prophetic words at the end of the 1969 song, "In The Year 2525." Maybe you remember it.

Now it's been ten thousand years
Man has cried a billion tears
For what he never knew
Now man's reign is through
But through the eternal night
The twinkling of starlight
So very far away
Maybe it's only yesterday

Perhaps I am being melodramatic but my feelings about economic inequality and the Trump tax plan are expressed aptly in this 60s song. My sentiment is also expressed in the following short research video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meiU6TxysCg It shows the reaction of monkeys experiencing an unfair situation as would be the case with income and economic inequality. Maybe your inner monkey can relate to this reaction. Mine certainly did.

However, my reaction would not be limited to just throwing cucumber slices. Rather, in true monkey fashion, it would be an unsparing scatological revenge.

If we think we are so different from this research monkey, I suggest we think again. Under the topic, New Age Slavery, I wrote the following post #2, on Nov 13th, 2015, expressing my thoughts about income and an implied economic inequality being another form of slavery.
Most assuredly Wage Inequality causes slavery, just not the type stereo-typically portrayed on television or in the movies. When many people think of slavery they think of modern day Blacks or ancient Jews in the days of the Pharaohs. The slave, bound with ropes or iron shackles, was restricted in their freedom and forced to perform tasks they otherwise would not do. The conditions caused by Wage Inequality are still slavery but with the physical restraints now being replaced by economic constraints. This type of loss of freedom is slow and insidious but nevertheless real and debilitating in a physical sense. If your parents are poor, there is a greater likelihood you too will be poor. If your parents are uneducated, there is a greater likelihood you too will be uneducated. Those relegated to poorer neighborhoods are many times bound by the chains of drug addiction, poverty, crime, loss of medical attention, and the like. The fence of days gone by that restricted a servant's movements is now replaced with a financial barrier of similar impenetrability. Both circumscribe the free will of the individual.

This is now slavery and on a grand worldwide scale. No longer is it restricted to small regions but rather large swaths of society are affected. Arguably one could say there are more slaves now than ever before because of population growth and the economic chains of Income Inequality encircling the planet. The resentment this is causing is growing. A ratio of 335:1 is better reserved for the gods, not CEOs who put their paints on one leg at a time like the rest of us mortals. Sooner or later merely expressing outrage will not be sufficient; it will be replaced with the fury of action.
So what is this, "fury of action," to be? How will it be expressed now that we have been shackled and crammed into an unfair cage?

We know with certainty the new Tax Plan will dramatically increase economic inequality. With this comes the inevitable worsening of negative outcomes regarding health and social problems in near lockstep. Listed below are some of these inevitable outcomes as referenced from the research shown in Richard Wilkinson's video:

Life expectancy (decreased)
Math and Literacy (decreased)
Infant Mortality (increased)
Homicides (increased)
Imprisonment (increased)
Teenage births (increased)
Trust (decreased)
Obesity (increased)
Mental illness (increased) including drug addiction and alcoholism
Social mobility (decreased)

When combined in a synergistic manner, these negative outcomes will create a toxic stew of combustible grievances mostly in the poorest communities with some parts of the middle class also being impacted. We also know how people respond to such stressors with the resultant physical and emotional suffering manifesting predictably. Eventually the community pressure cooker will explode with fragments of rage and violence in an attempt to lash out at those who have done them wrong; the wrong doers being those who have treated them unfairly as per the example of the monkey in the video. This is "the fury of action" I talk about.

"Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose" are the lyrics from the 1969 song, Me and Bobby McGee as sung by Janis Joplin. There is a lot of freedom gained when you have nothing left to lose. Just ask any anyone who has ever been pushed to the brink.

And so it will start. The vicious fight against those who enslave the people with their policies will begin at first sporadically and then over time more consistently. Almost certainly the current administration will label the individuals involved as terrorists and eventually declare a war on terrorism. This creates a tit for tat reciprocity, a downward spiral into an abyss of escalating violence. For those of us who have walked this earth long enough we know all too well the ending scenario. Civil war with all of the malfeasance and eventual horror associated with it ensues.

But only one side will win. Let us pray it is us and not just a handful of craven elites with blood stained hands and brain structures bent on controlling the world in an attempt to satisfy their inner greed; it is a greed that can never be satisfied. The very future of humanity depends upon us winning. Losing would surely spell death to each of us as with every successive year more and more automation and robotics will relegate us to the dust bin of history. It is a history where we are no longer needed. Eventually, a cost to benefit ratio derived from an algorithm will lead someone down that slippery slope to ask the question, "Why not just kill them all?" This is the future we are fighting against and the fight must start now if we are to have any chance of winning.
Times Referenced: 3